
A Moroccan court on Thursday sentenced 18 Senegalese football fans to prison over violence at last month’s Africa Cup of Nations final.
The men received jail terms ranging from three to 12 months after clashes marred the heated showdown in Morocco.
They had remained in pre-trial detention since January 18, when Morocco lost 1-0 to Senegal on home soil.
Prosecutors sought penalties of up to two years, accusing the group of deliberately disrupting the match’s proper conduct.
Authorities said the defendants committed acts of violence broadcast live, though all 18 denied any wrongdoing.
Nine supporters were sentenced to one year and fined 5,000 dirhams, while six received six months and smaller fines.
Three others were handed three-month sentences and fined 1,000 dirhams, according to the court ruling.
An AFP journalist saw several defendants protest the verdict as their lawyers vowed to appeal.
The unrest erupted late in the final when some Senegalese supporters attempted to storm the pitch.
Senegal’s players halted the match for nearly 20 minutes to protest a controversial late penalty for Morocco.
Fans were also seen throwing objects onto the field, including a chair, as tensions boiled over.
Defence lawyer Patrick Kabou called the ruling “incomprehensible”, insisting his clients were victims rather than aggressors.
Lawyer Naima El Guellaf argued surveillance footage failed to provide irrefutable proof of assault by any defendant.
Prosecutors said the case relied on stadium camera recordings and medical reports detailing injuries among security personnel.
Mustapha Simou, representing injured security staff, said CAF sanctions did not exempt the accused from criminal responsibility.
In January, CAF fined both federations hundreds of thousands of dollars for breaches of fair play.
Prosecutors estimated material damage to the stadium exceeded four million dirhams.
The verdict comes as Morocco prepares to co-host the 2030 World Cup with Spain and Portugal.
