Global leaders gather in Kazan for BRICS summit
As many as 22 heads of state and 6 heads of international organizations expected to attend event
Gaza death toll surpasses 42,700 as Israeli assault continues unabated
Number of injuries since Oct. 7, 2023 also crosses grim landmark of 100,000, according to official figures
Ukraine condemns U.N.’s Guterres for attending BRICS summit in Russia
The BRICS summit, hosted by Putin, will take place in Kazan and feature key leaders like Chinese President Xi Jinping and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi
US, UAE discuss ongoing efforts to deescalate regional tensions
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken and his Emirati counterpart Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan discussed ongoing efforts to deescalate regional tensions in a phone call Monday. Blinken and Al Nahyan exchanged views on “the importance of bringing the war in Gaza to an end, securing the release of all hostages, and alleviating the suffering of the Palestinian people,” US State Department spokesman Matthew Miller said in a statement. While discussing efforts to reach a diplomatic resolution to the conflict across the Blue Line, a demarcation line between Lebanon and Israel, that fully implements UN Security Council Resolution 1701, Blinken also thanked Al Nahyan for the United Arab Emirates’ continued provision of humanitarian aid for both Gaza and Lebanon. Blinken will travel to Israel and other countries in the Middle East from Oct. 21-25. Last week, US President Joe Biden said he was sending Blinken to Israel and was more “hopeful” about a cease-fire in the Gaza Strip following the death of Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar. The White House has sought to reach a cease-fire deal for months, with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s refusal to end Israel’s offensive on Gaza standing in the way. Israel, flouting a UN Security Council resolution calling for an immediate cease-fire, has continued its brutal offensive on Gaza following a cross-border attack by the Palestinian group Hamas last year. More than 42,600 people have since been killed, mostly women and children, and nearly 99,800 injured, according to local health authorities. The Israeli onslaught has displaced almost the entire population of Gaza amid an ongoing blockade that has led to severe shortages of food, clean water and medicine. Israel faces a genocide case at the International Court of Justice for its actions in Gaza. Last month, Israel stepped up its attacks on neighboring Lebanon, despite warnings that doing so raises the risk of a larger regional war.
NATO launches naval HQ in Germany to oversee Baltic operations
Commander Task Force Baltic will direct NATO’s naval operations in times of peace, crisis and war, says German defense minister
Israel plans major strike on Iran after missile attack: Official
Israel in intensive consultations with US to determine potential targets, its defensive needs to counter any Iranian retaliation
Senegal repatriates citizens fleeing conflict in Lebanon
The Israeli bombardment of Lebanon has forced many to flee their homes. Senegal has responded by organizing repatriation flights and providing humanitarian aid to those affected.
At least 87 dead in Israeli airstrike on Gaza’s Beit Lahia
Health Ministry says over 40 others injured, including some in critical condition
Putin open to peace talks on Ukraine, rejects annexation concessions
During a meeting with media representatives from BRICS nations, Russian President Vladimir Putin expressed Moscow’s readiness to engage in discussions to resolve the Ukraine conflict. Putin warned, “This is yet another provocation. In today’s world, creating nuclear weapons isn’t particularly difficult. I’m unsure if Ukraine currently has the capability to pursue this. While it may not be easy for Ukraine, the process itself is straightforward and dangerous. Any move in this direction will provoke a response.” Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has been accused of suggesting that Ukraine might seek nuclear weapons if it does not secure NATO membership. He conveyed to European Union leaders that Kyiv needs a strong deterrent against Russian aggression. Zelensky stated that Ukraine has no intention of developing nuclear arms or posing any nuclear threat, emphasizing the need for accurate information in the media. He reiterated his belief that Ukraine should be integrated into NATO, referencing the Budapest Memorandum, under which Ukraine gave up its nuclear arsenal in exchange for security assurances. Putin expressed approval of the peace proposals from China and Brazil, suggesting they could serve as a basis for peace. However, he firmly rejected any concessions regarding the status of the four Ukrainian regions annexed by Moscow in September 2022.
Al-Qaeda urges Hamas to release Israeli captives
Al-Qaeda leader’s adviser calls for Hamas to release Israeli hostages held in Gaza, saying their release could shift focus back to Palestinian prisoners.
Drone from Lebanon strikes Netanyahu’s northern Israel residence
Premier was not at home at the time, says prime minister’s office
China rejects US claims of supplying lethal weapons to Russia
‘China has never provided lethal weapons to any party of conflict between Russia, Ukraine,’ says Foreign Ministry spokesperson
Iran, Egypt warn against regional conflict during rare Cairo meeting
Iran’s top diplomat and Egypt’s president met in Cairo to discuss preventing the escalation of regional conflicts and intensifying efforts for ceasefires in Gaza and Lebanon.
Netherlands considers sending rejected African ssylum seekers to Uganda
Human Rights Watch urges Ethiopian government to scale up protection for refugees
Israeli army claims killing of Hamas leader Sinwar in Gaza
A military statement said three Palestinians were killed during a joint operation by the army and the Shin Bet security service
X adjusts settings to let blocked users view posts without interaction
Current system can be used by users to share harmful or private information about those they blocked, says social media platform
US strikes underground Houthi weapons storage locations in Yemen
The US military conducted precision strikes Wednesday against five hardened underground weapons storage locations in Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen. “U.S. forces targeted several of the Houthis’ underground facilities housing various weapons components of types that the Houthis have used to target civilian and military vessels throughout the region,” defense chief Lloyd Austin said in a statement. It was a “unique demonstration” of the US’ ability to target facilities that “our adversaries seek to keep out of reach, no matter how deeply buried underground, hardened, or fortified,” he added. “The employment of U.S. Air Force B-2 Spirit long-range stealth bombers demonstrate U.S. global strike capabilities to take action against these targets when necessary, anytime, anywhere,” he said. At the direction of President Joe Biden, Austin said he authorized the targeted strikes to further degrade the Houthis’ capability to continue their “destabilizing behavior” and to protect and defend US forces and personnel “in one of the world’s most critical waterways.” Underlining that for more than a year, the Houthis have “recklessly and unlawfully” attacked US and international vessels transiting the Red Sea, the Bab Al-Mandeb Strait and the Gulf of Aden, Austin said the Iranian-back group “illegal attacks” continue to disrupt the free flow of international commerce, threaten environmental catastrophe and put innocent civilian lives and US and partner forces’ lives at risk. “Again, the United States will not hesitate to take action to defend American lives and assets; to deter attacks against civilians and our regional partners; and to protect freedom of navigation and increase the safety and security in these waterways for U.S., coalition, and merchant vessels. “We will continue to make clear to the Houthis that there will be consequences for their illegal and reckless attacks,” he added. The Red Sea is a critical global sea route, frequently used for oil and fuel shipments. In recent months, Houthi forces have targeted Israeli-linked cargo ships in the Red Sea and the nearby Gulf of Aden, in solidarity with the Gaza Strip, which has been under an Israeli offensive since Oct. 7, 2023. Earlier this year, Austin announced the launch of Operation Prosperity Guardian, a multinational mission designed to counter Houthi attacks in the region.
First Iranian foreign minister visits Cairo in over a decade
His tour also includes meetings in Jordan, Lebanon, and other countries amid rising regional tensions.
Netherlands eyes Uganda for rejected asylum seekers
The Dutch government is seeking solutions to reduce immigration in the country.
Italy begins diverting migrants to Albania under new agreement
This controversial initiative aims to reduce irregular migrant arrivals to Italy
Israeli warplanes launch three airstrikes on southern Beirut
Israeli army claims have struck Hezbollah underground weapons storage depot in southern Beirut
US calls on Israel to respect role of UN peacekeepers in Lebanon
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui The White House urged Israel Tuesday to respect the role of UN peacekeepers operating in Lebanon after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called for the force to withdraw. “UNIFIL plays an important role, a peacekeeping role, in Lebanon, and we respect that role. We want everybody to respect that role, including Israel,” National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby told reporters, referring to the peacekeeping force. The appeal came after Netanyahu addressed UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres in a video message Sunday, directly telling him to “withdraw UNIFIL” from what he called “Hezbollah strongholds and from the areas of combat” as Israel pushes its ground invasion of Lebanon. “Mr. Secretary General, get the UNIFIL forces out of harm’s way. It should be done right now, immediately,” the Israeli premier said. The escalation in rhetoric came after a series of attacks on UNIFIL peacekeepers, the vast majority of which the force directly blamed on Israel. Several peacekeepers have been injured. Kirby said the White House has “told Israel very directly that we oppose their near daily strikes here, in densely populated areas, in Beirut.” “We understand that they’re conducting targeted operations that are designed to go after Hezbollah infrastructure, and we recognize that they have a right to do that,” he said. “But they also have a commensurate responsibility to do it in a way that doesn’t threaten the lives of civilians, or UN peacekeepers or, quite frankly, members of the Lebanese armed forces who have suffered some casualties here,” he added. UNIFIL was established in March 1978 to confirm Israel’s withdrawal from Lebanon and assist the Lebanese government in restoring authority in the area. Its mandate has been expanded over the years, particularly after the 2006 Israeli-Hezbollah war, to monitor cease-fires and facilitate humanitarian aid. Its mandate was last renewed unanimously by the UN Security Council in August. Israel dramatically escalated its massive bombing campaign across Lebanon against what it claims are Hezbollah targets since Sept. 23, killing at least 1,437 people, injuring over 4,123 others, and displacing more than 1.34 million people. The aerial campaign is an escalation from a year of cross-border warfare between Israel and Hezbollah since the start of Israel’s war on the Gaza Strip. More than 42,200 people, most of them women and children, have been killed since the war began in the wake of Hamas’ Oct. 7, 2023 cross-border attack on Israel. Some 1,200 people were killed in that attack, and about 250 others were taken back to Gaza as hostages. Less than half remain captive in the largely destroyed coastal enclave. Israel began its ground invasion of Lebanon on Oct. 1. deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
Paris demonstration demands end to Gaza genocide
Supporters of Palestine gathered at the Place de la Republique in Paris to protest the violence in the Gaza Strip, which has been under Israeli attack for one year. Demonstrators demanded an end to the genocide and insisted that the Israeli military halt its assaults on Gaza and Lebanon. The protest, organized by supporters of Palestine and Lebanon, drew a large crowd who carried Palestinian and Lebanese flags. Protesters held banners with poignant messages such as “Toys in Gaza are losing their children” and “Free Palestinian political prisoners,” while chanting: “Free Palestine” and “Long live Palestinian resistance.” One of the most striking parts of the demonstration was the display of two trees adorned with a banner that read: “Israel’s favorite targets.” Red-painted children’s clothing and toy dolls, symbolizing the blood of children affected by the conflict, were hung beneath the banner, serving as a powerful visual condemnation of the violence. Notable figures in attendance included Marine Tondelier, leader of the Green Party (EELV), Thomas Portes, a far-left La France Insoumise (LFI) Member of Parliament and Salah Hamouri, a Palestinian-French lawyer and author of The Prisoner of Jerusalem. Tondelier voiced deep frustration and sorrow about the continued violence in Gaza in her speech. “This helplessness is terrible because we have been protesting for a year, and this atrocity has been going on for a year,” said Tondelier, accusing world leaders of turning a blind eye to the actions of the Israeli military. She specifically criticized French President Emmanuel Macron for what she described as his lack of meaningful action. “After a year of Israel’s attacks on Gaza, Macron now says: ‘We must listen to the United Nations.’ It’s been a year. Who is he fooling?” she asked.
Greek official criticizes EU for lack of common migration policy
With wars and climate change driving displacement, Greece’s Voultepsi called for a more effective EU migration policy.
South Korea doubles rice aid to Kenya
A generous donation of 21,000 tons of rice from South Korea to the WFP in Kenya will provide vital support to thousands of vulnerable individuals affected by the refugee crisis.
US slams China’s ‘irresponsible’ military drills near Taiwan
The Pentagon on Monday slammed China’s “irresponsible” military drills near Taiwan, saying that the US “closely” monitored the exercise. “This military pressure operation is irresponsible, disproportionate, and destabilizing,” spokesman Maj. Gen. Pat Ryder said in a written statement. His remarks came after the Chinese military said its Joint Sword-2024B drills took place on Monday in the Taiwan Strait and areas to the north, south, and east of the self-ruled island. “Deterrence remains strong in the Indo-Pacific, and the Department remains confident in its current force posture and operations in the region,” said Ryder. “The entire world has a stake in peace and stability across the Taiwan Strait, and we continue to see a growing community of countries committed to peace and stability across the Taiwan Strait.” The US will continue to work with allies and partners to advance its shared vision for a “free and open” Indo-Pacific, despite China’s “destabilizing behavior,” he added. Beijing considers Taiwan “an inseparable part of Chinese territory” and has repeatedly urged other nations to refrain from actions that would send a wrong signal to “separatist forces” seeking independence. The drills come four days after Taiwanese President Lai Ching-te said in a speech that China has no right to represent Taiwan and declared his commitment to “resist annexation.”
Some US lawmakers urge Biden to halt military aid to Israel
Some US lawmakers on Monday voiced concern over the ongoing war in the Gaza Strip, and called on the Biden administration to stop military aid to Israel. “(Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin) Netanyahu is committing human rights abuses over and over again – bombing hospitals, burning Palestinians alive, blocking food aid, and killing aid workers,” Congresswoman Ilhan Omar said on X. “This evil genocide must end and President Biden has to stop enabling it. That starts with cutting off military aid,” she added. Her remarks came after the Pentagon announced on Sunday the deployment to Israel of a THAAD anti-missile system battery and a crew of US military personnel to operate it in order to help bolster the country’s air defenses. Congresswoman Cori Bush also called for an arms embargo to Israel. “There are no words powerful enough to capture the agony of human beings being massacred & burned alive,” Bush said, referring to images of Gazans being burned alive due to Israeli attacks. Four people were killed and 40 others injured early Monday when Israeli warplanes hit a hospital courtyard in the central city of Deir al-Balah, burning 30 tents where people were sleeping. “The U.S. is funding & arming the Israeli military’s extermination of the Palestinian people. It’s unconscionable. End this genocide. There must be an #ArmsEmbargoNow,” Bush said on X. – When will US ‘stop funding this madness?’ Rashida Tlaib, the only Palestinian American member of Congress, said “genocidal maniac” Netanyahu is burning Palestinians alive, bombing hospitals, starving people, and killing aid workers. “When will our country stop funding this madness? When?” she said on X. During its offensive in Gaza, Israel has numerous times attacked hospitals, schools, and houses of worship – civilian sites normally off limits to attacks, raising the specter of war crimes. Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez – a member of the progressive “Squad” group in the US House of Representatives, along with Omar, Bush, and Tlaib – wrote on X: “The horrors unfolding in northern Gaza are the result of a completely unrestrained Netanyahu gov, fully armed by the Biden admin while food aid is blocked and patients are bombed in hospitals. This is a genocide of Palestinians.” “Arms embargo now,” she added. Over the last year, Israel has killed more than 42,000 Palestinians in Gaza and displaced nearly the entire population of 2.3 million people, while also generating famine-like conditions and the spread of disease. It is now also carrying out air and ground raids in Lebanon, despite warnings that this could turn the war into a larger regional conflict. The Israeli onslaught has displaced almost the entire population of the Gaza Strip amid an ongoing blockade that has led to severe shortages of food, clean water, and medicine. Mediation efforts led by the US, Egypt, and Qatar to reach a Gaza cease-fire and prisoner swap agreement between Israel and Hamas have failed over Netanyahu’s refusal to halt the war. Israel also faces a genocide case at the International Court of Justice for its actions in Gaza.
