Ukrainian foreign minister emphasizes Africa’s vital role in peace

Dmytro Kuleba’s historic visit to Zambia emphasizes Africa’s pivotal involvement in advancing peace and deepening bilateral relations.

Abbas: Killing of Hamas leader aims to prolong Gaza war

Abbas, set to visit Moscow from August 12-14, condemned the killing as a “cowardly act” intended to escalate the war and hinder peace negotiations

Bangladesh president dissolves parliament, ending Sheikh Hasina’s era

Decision was taken after discussions with armed forces chiefs, leaders of political parties, representatives of civil society, leaders of student-led protest movement, presidency says

Gaza death toll rises to 39,653 as Israel kills 30 more Palestinians

 The Israeli army killed 30 more Palestinians in attacks in the Gaza Strip, taking the death toll to 39,653 since last Oct. 7, the Health Ministry in the enclave said on Tuesday. A ministry statement added that some 91,535 others have been injured in the assault. “Israeli forces killed 30 people and injured 66 others in three ‘massacres’ against families in the last 24 hours,” the ministry also said. “Many people are still trapped under rubble and on the roads as rescuers are unable to reach them,” it added. Flouting a UN Security Council resolution demanding an immediate cease-fire, Israel has faced international condemnation amid its continued brutal offensive on Gaza since an Oct. 7, 2023 attack by Palestinian group Hamas. Ten months into the Israeli war, vast tracts of Gaza lie in ruins amid a crippling blockade of food, clean water and medicine. Israel stands accused of genocide at the International Court of Justice, whose latest ruling ordered Tel Aviv to immediately halt its military operation in the southern city of Rafah, where over a million Palestinians had sought refuge from the war before it was invaded on May 6.

UK: Starmer condemns far-right riots

The British Prime Minister has condemned the riots that have erupted across the country in response to a knife attack that resulted in the deaths of three children. In a statement, Keir Starmer vowed that his government would use all available resources to hold the rioters accountable, condemning the violence: “There is no justification for this action. All right-thinking people should denounce this kind of violence. I will not hesitate to call it what it is: far-right thuggery.” His remarks came as police in Rotherham struggled to manage a crowd of rioters attempting to storm a hotel housing asylum seekers. The unrest follows a stabbing at a dance class last week, which killed three girls and left several others injured.

UN: Nuclear weapons represent ‘real and present danger

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres warned Monday of the clear and present danger of nuclear weapons. “Nuclear weapons, and the threat of their use, are not confined to history books. They have once again appeared in the daily rhetoric of international relations,” Guterres said in a message to mark the 79th anniversary of the atomic bombing of the Japanese city of Hiroshima by the US. “They represent a real and present danger that remains with us today,” he added. The Aug. 6, 1945 bombing of Hiroshima during World War II left an estimated 140,000 people dead by the end of the year, while an atomic bomb dropped on the city of Nagasaki three days later killed an estimated 74,000 people. “The lessons of Hiroshima, which once guided our collective efforts towards disarmament and peace, have been pushed aside,” Guterres said. While “some are recklessly rattling the nuclear saber once more,” he stressed that the UN endeavors to keep alive the lessons of 1945. He called on the world to stand together to condemn “this unacceptable behavior” and find new solutions to bring disarmament to life. “We will never forget the lessons of 6 August 1945. No more Hiroshimas. No more Nagasakis,” he added.

Joint efforts by Egypt and Turkey to address Gaza crisis

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty and his Turkish counterpart Hakan Fidan discussed efforts to prevent the ongoing conflict in Gaza from escalating into a broader regional war during a joint news conference in Cairo on Monday. The ministers addressed strategies to ease regional tensions, particularly those resulting from the Israel-Hamas conflict. Badr Abdelatty condemned assassination tactics, violations of sovereignty, and the worsening of regional conflicts, emphasizing the urgent need for collective action to prevent a full-scale regional war. Their discussion also covered the crises in Gaza, Libya, Sudan, the unrest in the Red Sea, and the issues in Yemen. Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan noted that Turkey is closely monitoring Israel’s case at the International Court of Justice and plans to file its application on Wednesday. He highlighted Turkey’s stance that establishing a Palestinian state is crucial for peace in the Middle East and criticized Israel for undermining peace efforts. Both Egypt and Turkey are calling for a ceasefire in Gaza and have condemned recent fatalities, including the death of Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh. Fidan also met with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sissi, marking a significant step toward improving relations between Turkey and Egypt after years of diplomatic tension. Diplomatic relations between Ankara and Cairo had been strained for nearly a decade, primarily due to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s support for Egypt’s former Islamist leader, Mohammed Morsi, who was ousted by the military in 2013. In recent years, Turkey has adjusted its position to rebuild ties with el-Sissi’s administration.

Nigeria warns citizens against UK travel amidst riots

Nigeria has advised its citizens to be cautious when traveling to the UK due to ongoing anti-asylum riots and violence against minority groups.

Egypt calls for unconditional humanitarian aid access to Gaza

Egyptian and Turkish foreign ministers met in Cairo to discuss the Gaza crisis, emphasizing the need for immediate cessation of hostilities and unrestricted aid delivery.

Court adjourns case of Libyans found in South African camp

A group of 95 Libyan men found in a South African training camp are facing legal trouble.

Bangladesh army chief announces transitional gov’t as PM flees

Move came after weeks of violent anti-government protests in South Asian country

G7: Heightened tensions in Middle East risk broader regional conflict

 Heightened tensions in the Middle East risk a broader regional conflict, foreign ministers of the Group of Seven (G7) industrialized nations warned Sunday.  “We, the G7 Foreign Ministers of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States of America and the High Representative of the European Union express our deep concern at the heightened level of tension in the Middle East, which threatens to ignite a broader conflict in the region,” their joint statement said. Urging all involved parties to refrain from “perpetuating the current destructive cycle of retaliatory violence, to lower tensions and engage constructively toward de-escalation,” they said that “no country or nation stands to gain from a further escalation in the Middle East.” Commenting on the video conference by the G7 ministers, Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani, who presided over it, said on X that “we called for a de-escalation and to end all violence.” Tajani said the countries also reaffirmed their commitment to an immediate cease-fire in Gaza and to humanitarian assistance to the besieged Palestinian enclave, adding “our priority is to restore peace in the Middle East.” Tensions have escalated between Lebanon’s Hezbollah and Israel since Tel Aviv assassinated the group’s senior military commander Fuad Shukr in an airstrike on a suburb of Beirut on July 30. Hamas political chief Ismail Haniyeh was assassinated in the Iranian capital Tehran the following day in an attack blamed on Israel, although Tel Aviv has not confirmed or denied its responsibility. Hamas and Iran have vowed to retaliate for Haniyeh’s assassination, while Hezbollah has pledged to respond to Shukr’s killing. Fears have grown over a full-blown war between Israel and Hezbollah amid a months-long exchange of cross-border fire. The escalation comes against the backdrop of an Israeli onslaught on Gaza which has killed nearly 39,600 people since last October following an attack by the Palestinian group Hamas.

Libya vows to defend oil interests after Sharara protest

The Libyan government has vowed to protect the country’s oil interests and condemned the actions of the demonstrators.

Ukraine’s Kuleba visits to Malawi, Zambia, Mauritius

Dmytro Kuleba strengthens Ukraine-Africa ties with pivotal tour focusing on peace and partnerships.

Ukraine claims Russian submarine sunk in Sevastopol

Russian S-400 anti-aircraft missile system on Crimean peninsula was also successfully targeted, according to statement issued by General Staff of Armed Forces of Ukraine

Egypt, Saudi foreign ministers discuss escalating regional tensions

The Egyptian Foreign Ministry said Friday that Badr Abdelatty and his Saudi counterpart, Faisal bin Farhan, discussed the “dangerous” regional escalation following assassinations by Israel,  The ministers explored “avenues for enhancing cooperation between Egypt and Saudi Arabia across various domains,” in a telephone call. They also discussed “the alarming regional tensions resulting from Israel’s extremist policies and the pattern of assassinations,” it said in a statement, in reference to the assassination Wednesday of Ismail Haniyeh, the head of Hamas’ political bureau in the Iranian capital of Tehran. Abdelatty emphasized the urgency of “halting the ongoing escalation and underscored the responsibility of major international powers, particularly the US, in curbing the escalation.” Bin Farhan expressed anticipation for “continued bilateral relations to bolster coordination on regional issues.” The Israeli military claimed Thursday to have “confirmed intelligence” regarding the killing of Mohammed Deif, the military wing leader of Hamas, al-Qassam Brigades. The airstrike occurred July 13 in the Mawasi area of Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip, despite prior denials by the Palestinian resistance group. Israel’s confirmation followed Hamas and Iran’s declaration Wednesday regarding the assassination of Haniyeh.  An Israeli airstrike targeted Haniyeh’s residence in Tehran, following his participation in the inauguration ceremony of President Masoud Pezeshkian. While Israel maintains silence on Haniyeh’s assassination, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu indirectly alluded to Tel Aviv’s responsibility for the operation. Additionally, the Israeli army explicitly claimed responsibility for the assassination of Fouad Shukr, Hezbollah’s top military commander, in an airstrike Tuesday on Beirut’s southern suburbs. Escalating tensions between the two sides have persisted since early October, stemming from the Israeli onslaught against Gaza. -Sudan crisis The two top diplomats also addressed efforts by Cairo and Riyadh to resolve the Sudanese crisis to maintain Sudan’s unity and sovereignty by working together to achieve a cease-fire and facilitate humanitarian aid delivery. Since April 2023, the Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces paramilitary group have been engaged in fighting that has resulted in 18,800 deaths and 10 million displaced individuals, according to the UN.

Haniyeh’s funeral ceremony begins in Tehran

 The funeral ceremony for Ismail Haniyeh, the head of the Palestinian Hamas group’s political bureau, began early Thursday in the Iranian capital of Tehran, with a large number of people and officials participating, including Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, local media reported. The Iranian Mehr News Agency released a short video of the funeral ceremony, which featured Hamas top figures. According to the official IRNA news agency, Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei will lead the funeral prayers. On Wednesday morning, Hamas and Iran announced the assassination of Haniyeh in an Israeli airstrike targeting his residence in Tehran, a day after he attended the inauguration of Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian. Though Israel has remained silent about Haniyeh’s death, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has hinted at Tel Aviv’s involvement in his assassination. Israel, flouting a UN Security Council resolution demanding an immediate cease-fire, has faced international condemnation amid its continued brutal offensive on Gaza since an Oct. 7, 2023 attack by the Palestinian resistance group Hamas. At least 39,445 Palestinians have since been killed, mostly women and children, and over 91,000 injured, according to local health authorities. Nearly 10 months into the Israeli war, vast tracts of Gaza lie in ruins amid a crippling blockade of food, clean water and medicine. Israel stands accused of genocide at the International Court of Justice, which ordered it to immediately halt its military operation in the southern city of Rafah, where over a million Palestinians had sought refuge from the war before it was invaded on May 6.

Arab world intensifies condemnation of Hamas leader’s assassination

Arab countries warn against regional spillover from Ismail Haniyeh’s killing in airstrike in Tehran

Gaza fears extended conflict after Hamas leader Haniyeh’s assassination

Haniyeh led Hamas since 2017 and frequently moved between Qatar and Turkey

Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh killed in Israeli airstrike in Tehran

 The Palestinian resistance group Hamas announced early Wednesday that its political bureau chief Ismail Haniyeh was killed in an Israeli airstrike targeting his residence in the Iranian capital Tehran. “Hamas mourns to our great Palestinian people, to the Arab and Islamic nations, and to all the free people of the world, the martyr, the Mujahid Ismail Haniyeh, the head of the movement, who was killed in a treacherous Zionist raid on his residence in Tehran after participating in the inauguration ceremony of the new Iranian president,” it said in a statement on Telegram. Iranian state television also reported Haniyeh’s death, noting that an investigation into the assassination is ongoing and that the results will be announced soon. No immediate announcement has been made by Israel on the incident.

Venezuelans protest Maduro’s election victory

Opposition and world leaders have casts doubt on results

Russia begins massive naval drills with 300 warships and speedboats

Drills involve major fleets and the Caspian Flotilla, focusing on combat readiness and inter-service coordination.

Turkey rescues 25 irregular migrants in Aegean Sea

The Turkish Coast Guard said Monday that it rescued 25 irregular migrants in the Aegean Sea off the coast of Marmaris district in Turkey’s southwestern Mugla province. The irregular migrants were pushed back into Turkish territorial waters by Greek coastal authorities, said the Coast Guard Command. The migrants were handed over to the Provincial Directorate of Migration Management after processing. Turkey has repeatedly condemned Greece’s illegal practice of pushing back asylum seekers, saying it violates humanitarian values and international law by endangering the lives of vulnerable migrants, including women and children. Turkey has been a key transit point for asylum seekers aiming to cross into Europe to start new lives, especially those fleeing war and persecution.

Paris Olympics opening ceremony criticized for disrespect

French bishops, US companies and political figures react to ‘The Last Supper’ drag queen performance at Paris Olympics

Oil up over fears of widening conflict in oil-rich Middle East

Oil prices increased on Monday over fears of a widening conflict in the oil-rich Middle East. International benchmark Brent crude traded at $80.67 per barrel at 09.51 a.m. local time (0651 GMT), an increase of 0.49% from the closing price of $80.28 per barrel in the previous trading session. The American benchmark West Texas Intermediate (WTI) traded at $77.50 per barrel at the same time, a 0.44% rise from the previous session that closed at $77.16 per barrel. Both benchmarks started the week with upward movements following an attack in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights. Despite cease-fire negotiations, escalating geopolitical tensions in the Middle East, home to a vast majority of global oil reserves, increases supply risk in the markets. On Saturday, a missile attack was carried out on a football field in the town of Majdal Shams in the occupied Golan Heights, killing 12 people. Israel blames Hezbollah for the attack, but the Lebanese group denied playing any role. Fear over a full-blown war between Israel and Hezbollah has grown amid an exchange of cross-border attacks between the two sides. The escalation comes against the backdrop of a deadly Israeli onslaught on Gaza which resulted in the death of more than 39,300 people since last October. Meanwhile, negotiations regarding the cease-fire in Gaza and the exchange of prisoners between Hamas and Israel are currently stalled after the postponement of the Israeli delegation’s visit to next week, which was initially scheduled for Thursday. However, gains were weak as the outlook for crude demand in the world’s largest crude oil importer remained bleak. Prices continue to be depressed by concerns about demand in China as it grapples with a slowing economic recovery. This week, market players will be watching the US Federal Reserve’s (Fed) meetings in a bid to gauge the oil market trajectory. Fed will review its policy on July 30-31. While investors expect the bank to keep rates unchanged, they will also look for further evidence that a rate cut will happen at the September meeting. Experts believe that reducing policy interest rates soon would support economic activity in the country, resulting in higher oil demand.

Nicolas Maduro wins Venezuela’s presidential election — official

Nicolas Maduro has been declared the winner of Venezuela’s presidential election with 51.2% of the vote, securing his third term.

Lebanon receives assurances that Israel-Hezbollah conflict

The Lebanese Foreign Minister confirmed that the responses would be constrained despite the escalating tensions.

Scroll to Top