Trump issues two-week ultimatum to Iran over nuclear negotiations

U.S. President Donald Trump warned Iran on Thursday that Tehran has about 10–15 days to reach a “meaningful” agreement on its nuclear program with Washington or risk “really bad things” — a vague but stark ultimatum that underscores escalating tensions between the two countries.

Speaking at the inaugural session of his newly established Board of Peace, Trump said negotiators were engaged in ongoing indirect talks, but that Tehran must make substantive concessions on its nuclear and missile programs or face unspecified consequences. The U.S. position, he reiterated, remains that Iran must not be allowed to acquire a nuclear weapon.

“We’re either going to get a deal, or it’s going to be unfortunate for them,” Trump said, suggesting about 10–15 days should be sufficient for progress.

U.S. officials have boosted American military capabilities in the Middle East in recent days amid the diplomatic push, with a second aircraft carrier strike group — led by the USS Gerald R. Ford — reported to be nearing the region and substantial deployments of warships, fighter jets and support aircraft already in place. Tehran, meanwhile, has conducted joint drills with Russia in the Strait of Hormuz and shown no sign of backing down.

Diplomatic context: indirect negotiations between Washington and Tehran have been underway in Geneva and other neutral venues, mediated by third parties. U.S. envoys have pressed for dramatic curbs on Iran’s uranium enrichment and long-range missile development, while Iran — insisting its nuclear activities are peaceful — has sought sanctions relief and preservation of certain capabilities.

Iranian officials have not publicly accepted a U.S. ultimatum, and the regime has repeatedly insisted that it will continue to pursue what it calls its sovereign right to nuclear technology under international inspection. Tehran has also warned it would respond forcefully to any military action against its territory.

International reactions: Russia cautioned against escalation and urged restraint, while some European countries have advised their citizens to consider leaving Iran amid fears that rising hostilities could spill over into a broader conflict.

Trump’s warnings mark one of the most direct timeframes yet from a U.S. leader in recent months, as the administration weighs the risks of renewed diplomacy against the possibility of military action in a region already tense after the Gaza conflict and last year’s limited exchange of strikes between U.S./Israeli forces and Iranian nuclear sites.

Scroll to Top