Trump unveils Gaza reconstruction pledges at Board of Peace debut

U.S. President Donald Trump announced billions of dollars in international commitments for the reconstruction of Gaza on Thursday, unveiling the initiative at the inaugural meeting of his newly formed Board of Peace in Washington.

Trump said participating countries had pledged $7 billion to an initial Gaza reconstruction fund, aimed at rebuilding the enclave once Hamas disarms — a condition that remains highly uncertain. He also announced that the United States would contribute $10 billion to the Board of Peace, though he did not specify whether the funding would require congressional approval.

The meeting brought together representatives from 47 countries and formed part of Trump’s broader effort to portray himself as a global peacemaker. It took place amid heightened tensions in the Middle East, including U.S. threats of military action against Iran and a significant American military buildup in the region.

Key questions remain unresolved, including how Hamas would be disarmed, whether Israeli forces would withdraw, how humanitarian aid would be delivered, and whether the reconstruction fund — with estimates for rebuilding Gaza reaching as high as $70 billion — will be sufficient.

The board’s founding membership includes Israel but excludes Palestinian representatives. Several U.S. allies have expressed concern about the scope of the initiative, while others are wary that the Board of Peace could undermine the United Nations’ traditional role in conflict resolution.

Trump said the $7 billion pledged so far came from a group of mainly Middle Eastern states, including Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Bahrain, Morocco, Kuwait, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan. He added that FIFA would raise $75 million for football-related projects in Gaza, while the United Nations would contribute $2 billion in humanitarian assistance.

Although Trump said Norway would host a Board of Peace event, Norwegian officials later clarified that the country is not a member of the board.

Trump first proposed the Board of Peace in September as part of a 20-point plan that helped broker a fragile ceasefire in Gaza last October after nearly two years of war. He has since expanded its remit beyond Gaza, saying the body would also examine other global conflict “hotspots.”

Alongside the reconstruction plan, Trump confirmed preparations for an International Stabilization Force intended to help maintain security in Gaza. The force would begin operating in areas under Israeli control, starting in Rafah, and would be led by a U.S. general with an Indonesian deputy. Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto said his country would contribute up to 8,000 troops. The plan envisions training 12,000 Palestinian police officers and deploying up to 20,000 international troops.

Despite Trump’s emphasis on peace, he also issued renewed warnings toward Iran, saying he would know within 10 days whether a deal could be reached to resolve the standoff over Tehran’s nuclear program.

Hamas disarmament remains the most contentious issue. Trump said he hoped force would not be required, claiming Hamas had indicated a willingness to disarm, though he acknowledged uncertainty over whether that would happen. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Hamas would be disarmed “one way or another.”

In response, Hamas spokesperson Hazem Qassem said the true test of the Board of Peace would be whether it could compel Israel to respect the ceasefire, fulfill its obligations and allow meaningful reconstruction to begin.

Hamas has said it is willing to hand over governance to a U.S.-backed committee of Palestinian technocrats led by Ali Shaath, but claims Israel has blocked the group’s entry into Gaza. Israel has not commented on those assertions.

The event had the atmosphere of a Trump campaign rally, featuring loud music and red Trump-branded hats for attendees. U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio warned that failure to implement the plan could lead back to war.

“There is no plan B for Gaza,” Rubio said. “Plan B is returning to war, and no one here wants that.”

Scroll to Top