Congo World Cup squad faces 21-day isolation before US entry

Congo’s World Cup squad must isolate for 21 days before entering United States amid a deadly Ebola outbreak, officials said Friday.

Andrew Giuliani, task force executive director, said US officials informed FIFA and Congo team to remain in Belgium training bubble.

Giuliani said Congo must maintain the integrity of its Belgium-based bubble for 21 days before travelling to Houston on June 11.

Officials warned the Congolese government that failure to preserve the bubble could block travel to the United States entirely.

US Department of Homeland Security said safety and security of American people, teams and fans remains the top priority.

Officials said earlier this week the Congolese squad would be exempt from a temporary travel ban affecting several African countries.

Giuliani urged the team to avoid unnecessary exposure and maintain strict bubble conditions to ensure tournament participation.

World Health Organization reported 82 confirmed Ebola cases and seven deaths in Democratic Republic of Congo this week.

Almost 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths have also been recorded amid the ongoing outbreak, officials said.

The outbreak is caused by Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, for which no approved vaccines or treatments currently exist.

DR Congo have qualified for World Cup in United States, Mexico and Canada, only second appearance since 1974.

They are scheduled to be based in Houston and open Group K against Portugal on June 17.

Scroll to Top