
Four South Africans who were recruited to fight alongside Russian forces in Ukraine returned home on Wednesday, arriving at Johannesburg’s O.R. Tambo International Airport, according to the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC).
The public broadcaster reported that police were present at the airport when the men landed. A police spokesperson declined to comment on the matter, referring questions to the Department of International Relations and Cooperation. The foreign ministry did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
South Africa’s government said in November it was investigating how at least 17 citizens became involved with mercenary forces linked to the Russia-Ukraine war, after several of them issued distress calls seeking assistance to return home.
Earlier this month, President Cyril Ramaphosa held a telephone call with Russian President Vladimir Putin. Ramaphosa’s office said the two leaders had agreed to support efforts to facilitate the return of South Africans fighting alongside Russian forces in Ukraine.
South African law prohibits citizens from providing military assistance to foreign governments or serving in foreign armed forces without official authorisation.
